Thursday, February 26, 2015

My Metabolism Sucks But I Still Lost Weight

I used to believe my body was broken. I was convinced my metabolism was weak if not dead. I lost faith in the very thing that I needed the most, my body. It turns out my metabolism is slow, but I beat the odds and I feel amazing.


The old genetics excuse 2015-02-25-beforeafterbrynn300x300.jpg

I caught it when I was dubbed thunder thighs as a joke -- how sweet. I was told that I'd gotten my aunts' muscled genes. I also had their eyes and beauty, but I eavesdropped a conversation about how they could never lose weight and struggled their whole lives. So I was seeded with a story that I had an impairment. I wasn't given the promise of a body I could be proud of.


So instead of standing tall and walking into the world filled with confidence, I walked into the world thinking I was doomed. So I sabotaged my body with diets and Dairy Queen because I thought I'd already lost.


Diets and Dairy Queen


Finally, I came to my own rescue. I realized that I was being held back by a simple false excuse: My body is broken, it was mandated when I was young, it's my genetics.


Stop With The Excuses, You Can Still Move


I decided it didn't matter. I decided if it was David vs Goliath, then I was going to go full force, with fire and joy.


I knew that it wouldn't be easy for me, but I knew it was worth the fight.



I knew it wasn't going to be fast, but I knew it would be worth the wait.



I knew I'd fall down and it would hurt, but each step would feel like victory.



So I went for it. I fought my way forward and slowly I transformed.


I remembered these three simple things, and it got me through my journey:


1. Slow is okay.


I said, so my "metabolism" is slow. That just means my journey will be slow. I'll just acknowledge it up front, be realistic and celebrate every forward move, no matter how slow. The fitness industry tricks you to think you can lose 20 pounds in 20 days. Get that out of your head. Accept your pace.


2. You don't stop just because it's hard.


I asked myself, just because it will be a little harder and a little slower, does that mean it's not worth it? Hell no. If you run fast now you can have a lifetime of feeling lightness and joy.


3. Victory is sweet.


I reminded myself the feeling of accomplishment will be even greater because of the obstacles I would face. Naturally thin people will never know the sense of accomplishment of overcoming the journey of fighting a slow metabolism.


If you're re-reading yourself the story of your broken body every day, close the book. If you believe the myth of your impossible metabolism -- it can be just a myth. The truth I know is that everyone has a warrior inside that is stronger than any broken pieces. David beat Goliath and so can you.






from Healthy Living - The Huffington Post http://ift.tt/1MUTpiH

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment